Saruyong: A Call for Preservation



I bet not all of us, even those who claim to be true-blue "taga-bungto" has been to this place (guilty, I admit I am). That despite the fact that it is just a stone's throw away from the poblacion - a short walk from the Napocor area.

Happily though, the kids knew about it - and they were just too proud to show their "discovery". They dragged me to the place, but making sure that I brought a camera.  It is a beautiful, they claimed with enthusiasm. They have been there a lot of times.


It was still the rainy season and the trail was quite slippery. I was all the while complaining, saying it was not as near as they touted.

But my mood changed when we passed by the brook. It just triggered a rush of happy memories of "panapsok", "pangurang" and "buhon-buhon", the things we do when we go "manapa-sapa". 
But no matter how much I try to recall, I cannot, for the life of me remember having gone to the area for a dip, much less a shower.


But then, it indeed was there. A falls! Not grand nor mighty, but a falls!

The kids frolicked like they were showing-off their kingdom. I had on choice but to join the fun. And boy, I had fun!


Which brings me to the realization that resources like these have to be preserved for the future Abaknon generations. It would be shame if in the years to come, what will be left of this site will be a dry bed of rocks and debris. 
Compared to the other islands in our vicinity, it is Capul that is most abundant with fresh water. That is such a blessing! It is therefore a challenge to all of us to make sure that this resource is protected and preserved. Tree planting, anyone? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abaknon Festival: Tribu Paragmalli

La Estudiantina Capulena

Tribu Mananguete: Landusan Boys